A good place to start when it comes to your computer and internet security is your password. It is extremely important to use good and secure passwords when your passwords protect all your private information. If you use secure passwords across the web then it can be compared to you having locked the doors of your house or apartment so it is the first and most basic way to keep out unwanted visitors. However please be aware that unauthorized people can still find other ways in so you have to make sure you have other areas of your IT security covered as you may have all the doors locked but you may have accidentally left a window slightly open and forgot.
Below we have compiled a number of tips on how to take the first small step in the direction of better IT security namely by making sure that you use good, strong and secure passwords across all the different places and platforms where you go. Additionally, you can, of course, choose to do even more to improve your security, for example by installing an antivirus program. At Chili Security, we offer a wide range of security solutions, with everything from free tools to award-winning antivirus solutions from only £ 19 per month.
Chili Security's advice for good passwords
- Mix numbers, signs and letters in your passwords.
- Use long passwords. As a rule of thumb, passwords should be at least 8 characters.
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Do use the so-called "password phrases" - read more about password phrases further down the page
- Do not use the names of people or places that can be related to you like your children's names or the name of your pet.
- Do not use simple values such as "123456".
- Do not use words taken directly from the dictionary, as they are very vulnerable to hacker attacks.
- Do not use personal information such as your date of birth, your address or other information that you get with searches that can be found on the net.
- Do not use the same password in many different places. As a bare minimum, you should have different strong passwords for your online banking, your e-mail account, and your Facebook profile.
- Do not use the same passwords in private and at your workplace. IT security at your workplace is not necessarily flawless and your passwords here may be detected during an IT attack on the company.
At Chili Security, we are committed to improving our customers' online safety. We can guide you in everything from how to make sure you have secure passwords, to what to do if you suddenly got a virus on your computer. Want help getting your passwords safe, or is there anything else you are unsure about your safety online, you can always call and ask us at Chili Security. Our security experts are ready to help you on tel. +44 150 667 4771
Increase your safety with a code - phrase
Code phrases are almost the safest form of password you can use when you’ve got the opportunity to be able to remember it. Start with one sentence you can remember and then use initials to form a password. An example would be "Forrest Gump 1994 is and remains my favorite movies." Initials provide the following: FG1994iarmfm . Then add some character, so you end up with a good , strong password : FG_1994_i_a_r_m_f_m!